Research Discussion: Predictions From The Year 1900

Predictions From The Year 1900

The Ladies Home Journal from December 1900, which contained a
fascinating article by John Elfreth Watkins, Jr. “What May Happen in
the Next Hundred Years”.

Mr. Watkins wrote: “These prophecies will seem strange, almost
impossible. Yet, they have come from the most learned and conservative
minds in America. To the wisest and most careful men in our greatest
institutions of science and learning I have gone, asking each in his
turn to forecast for me what, in his opinion, will have been wrought
in his own field of investigation before the dawn of 2001 - a century
from now. These opinions I have carefully transcribed.”

During the Year 2000, we included Mr. Watkins research in our feature
articles. We invite you to comment on these predictions, whether they
have been realized in some way or how they can never be accomplished!
In any event, we know you’ll enjoy these entries.

Prediction #1: There will probably be from 350,000,000 to 500,000,000
people in America and its possessions by the lapse of another century.
Nicaragua will ask for admission to our Union after the completion of
the great canal. Mexico will be next. Europe, seeking more territory
to the south of us, will cause many of the South and Central American
republics to be voted into the Union by their own people.”

Prediction #2: The American will be taller by from one to two inches.
His increase of stature will result from better health, due to vast
reforms in medicine, sanitation, food and athletics. He will live
fifty years instead of thirty-five as at present – for he will reside
in the suburbs. The city house will practically be no more. Building
in blocks will be illegal. The trip from suburban home to office will
require a few minutes only. A penny will pay the fare.

Prediction #3: Gymnastics will begin in the nursery, where toys and
games will be designed to strengthen the muscles. Exercise will be
compulsory in the schools. Every school, college and community will
have a complete gymnasium. All cities will have public gymnasiums. A
man or woman unable to walk ten miles at a stretch will be regarded as
a weakling.

Prediction #4: There Will Be No Street Cars in Our Large Cities. All
hurry traffic will be below or high above ground when brought within
city limits. In most cities it will be confined to broad subways or
tunnels, well lighted and well ventilated, or to high trestles with
“moving-sidewalk” stairways leading to the top. These underground or
overhead streets will teem with capacious automobile passenger coaches
and freight with cushioned wheels. Subways or trestles will be
reserved for express trains. Cities, therefore, will be free from all
noises.

Prediction #5: Trains will run two miles a minute, normally; express
trains one hundred and fifty miles an hour. To go from New York to San
Francisco will take a day and a night by fast express. There will be
cigar-shaped electric locomotives hauling long trains of cars. Cars
will, like houses, be artificially cooled. Along the railroads there
will be no smoke, no cinders, because coal will neither be carried nor
burned. There will be no stops for water. Passengers will travel
through hot or dusty country regions with windows down.

Prediction #6: Automobiles will be cheaper than horses are today.
Farmers will own automobile hay-wagons, automobile truck-wagons,
plows, harrows and hay-rakes. A one-pound motor in one of these
vehicles will do the work of a pair of horses or more. Children will
ride in automobile sleighs in winter. Automobiles will have been
substituted for every horse vehicle now known. There will be, as
already exist today, automobile hearses, automobile police patrols,
automobile ambulances, automobile street sweepers. The horse in
harness will be as scarce, if, indeed, not even scarcer, then as the
yoked ox is today.

Prediction #7: There will be air-ships, but they will not
successfully compete with surface cars and water vessels for passenger
or freight traffic. They will be maintained as deadly war-vessels by
all military nations. Some will transport men and goods. Others will
be used by scientists making observations at great heights above the
earth.

Prediction #8: Aerial War-Ships and Forts on Wheels. Giant guns will
shoot twenty-five miles or more, and will hurl anywhere within such a
radius shells exploding and destroying whole cities. Such guns will be
armed by aid of compasses when used on land or sea, and telescopes
when directed from great heights. Fleets of air-ships, hiding
themselves with dense, smoky mists, thrown off by themselves as they
move, will float over cities, fortifications, camps or fleets. They
will surprise foes below by hurling upon them deadly thunderbolts.
These aerial war-ships will necessitate bomb-proof forts, protected by
great steel plates over their tops as well as at their sides. Huge
forts on wheels will dash across open spaces at the speed of express
trains of to-day. They will make what are now known as cavalry
charges. Great automobile plows will dig deep entrenchments as fast as
soldiers can occupy them. Rifles will use silent cartridges. Submarine
boats submerged for days will be capable of wiping a whole navy off
the face of the deep. Balloons and flying machines will carry
telescopes of one-hundred-mile vision with camera attachments,
photographing an enemy within that radius. These photographs as
distinct and large as if taken from across the street, will be lowered
to the commanding officer in charge of troops below.

Prediction #9: Photographs will be telegraphed from any distance. If
there be a battle in China a hundred years hence snapshots of its most
striking events will be published in the newspapers an hour later.
Even to-day photographs are being telegraphed over short distances.
Photographs will reproduce all of Nature’s colors.

Prediction #10: Man will See Around the World. Persons and things of
all kinds will be brought within focus of cameras connected
electrically with screens at opposite ends of circuits, thousands of
miles at a span. American audiences in their theatres will view upon
huge curtains before them the coronations of kings in Europe or the
progress of battles in the Orient. The instrument bringing these
distant scenes to the very doors of people will be connected with a
giant telephone apparatus transmitting each incidental sound in its
appropriate place. Thus the guns of a distant battle will be heard to
boom when seen to blaze, and thus the lips of a remote actor or singer
will be heard to utter words or music when seen to move.

Prediction #11: No Mosquitoes nor Flies. Insect screens will be
unnecessary. Mosquitoes, house-flies and roaches will have been
practically exterminated. Boards of health will have destroyed all
mosquito haunts and breeding-grounds, drained all stagnant pools,
filled in all swamp-lands, and chemically treated all still-water
streams. The extermination of the horse and its stable will reduce
the house-fly.

Prediction #12: Peas as Large as Beets. Peas and beans will be as
large as beets are to-day. Sugar cane will produce twice as much
sugar as the sugar beet now does. Cane will once more be the chief
source of our sugar supply. The milkweed will have been developed
into a rubber plant. Cheap native rubber will be harvested by
machinery all over this country. Plants will be made proof against
disease microbes just as readily as man is to-day against smallpox.
The soil will be kept enriched by plants which take their nutrition
from the air and give fertility to the earth.

Prediction #13: Strawberries as Large as Apples will be eaten by our
great-great-grandchildren for their Christmas dinners a hundred years
hence. Raspberries and blackberries will be as large. One will
suffice for the fruit course of each person. Strawberries and
cranberries will be grown upon tall bushes. Cranberries, gooseberries
and currants will be as large as oranges. One cantaloupe will supply
an entire family. Melons, cherries, grapes, plums, apples, pears,
peaches and all berries will be seedless. Figs will be cultivated
over the entire United States.

Prediction #14: Black, Blue and Green Roses. Roses will be as large
as cabbage heads. Violets will grow to the size of orchids. A pansy
will be as large in diameter as a sunflower. A century ago the pansy
measured but half an inch across its face. There will be black, blue
and green roses. It will be possible to grow any flower in any color
and to transfer the perfume of a scented flower to another which is
odorless. Then may the pansy be given the perfume of the violet.

Prediction #15: No Foods will be Exposed. Storekeepers who expose
food to air breathed out by patrons or to the atmosphere of the busy
streets will be arrested with those who sell stale or adulterated
produce. Liquid-air refrigerators will keep great quantities of food
fresh for long intervals.

Prediction #16: There will be No C, X or Q in our every-day alphabet.
They will be abandoned because unnecessary. Spelling by sound will
have been adopted, first by the newspapers. English will be a language
of condensed words expressing condensed ideas, and will be more
extensively spoken than any other. Russian will rank second.

Prediction #17: How Children will be Taught. A university education
will be free to every man and woman. Several great national
universities will have been established. Children will study a simple
English grammar adapted to simplified English, and not copied after
the Latin. Time will be saved by grouping like studies. Poor students
will be given free board, free clothing and free books if ambitious
and actually unable to meet their school and college expenses. Medical
inspectors regularly visiting the public schools will furnish poor
children free eyeglasses, free dentistry and free medical attention of
every kind. The very poor will, when necessary, get free rides to and
from school and free lunches between sessions. In vacation time poor
children will be taken on trips to various parts of the world.
Etiquette and housekeeping will be important studies in the public
schools.

Prediction #18: Telephones Around the World. Wireless telephone and
telegraph circuits will span the world. A husband in the middle of the
Atlantic will be able to converse with his wife sitting in her boudoir
in Chicago. We will be able to telephone to China quite as readily as
we now talk from New York to Brooklyn. By an automatic signal they
will connect with any circuit in their locality without the
intervention of a “hello girl”.

Prediction #19: Grand Opera will be telephoned to private homes, and
will sound as harmonious as though enjoyed from a theatre box.
Automatic instruments reproducing original airs exactly will bring the
best music to the families of the untalented. Great musicians gathered
in one enclosure in New York will, by manipulating electric keys,
produce at the same time music from instruments arranged in theatres
or halls in San Francisco or New Orleans, for instance. Thus will
great bands and orchestras give long-distance concerts. In great
cities there will be public opera-houses whose singers and musicians
are paid from funds endowed by philanthropists and by the government.
The piano will be capable of changing its tone from cheerful to sad.
Many devises will add to the emotional effect of music.

Prediction #20: Coal will not be used for heating or cooking. It will
be scarce, but not entirely exhausted. The earth’s hard coal will last
until the year 2050 or 2100; its soft-coal mines until 2200 or 2300.
Meanwhile both kinds of coal will have become more and more expensive.
Man will have found electricity manufactured by waterpower to be much
cheaper. Every river or creek with any suitable fall will be equipped
with water-motors, turning dynamos, making electricity. Along the
seacoast will be numerous reservoirs continually filled by waves and
tides washing in. Out of these the water will be constantly falling
over revolving wheels. All of our restless waters, fresh and salt,
will thus be harnessed to do the work which Niagara is doing today:
making electricity for heat, light and fuel.

Prediction #21: Hot and Cold Air from Spigots. Hot or cold air will be
turned on from spigots to regulate the temperature of a house as we
now turn on hot or cold water from spigots to regulate the temperature
of the bath. Central plants will supply this cool air and heat to city
houses in the same way as now our gas or electricity is furnished.
Rising early to build the furnace fire will be a task of the olden
times. Homes will have no chimneys, because no smoke will be created
within their walls.

Prediction #22: Store Purchases by Tube. Pneumatic tubes, instead of
store wagons, will deliver packages and bundles. These tubes will
collect, deliver and transport mail over certain distances, perhaps
for hundreds of miles. They will at first connect with the private
houses of the wealthy; then with all homes. Great business
establishments will extend them to stations, similar to our branch
post-offices of today, whence fast automobile vehicles will distribute
purchases from house to house.

Prediction #23: Ready-cooked meals will be bought from establishments
similar to our bakeries of today. They will purchase materials in
tremendous wholesale quantities and sell the cooked foods at a price
much lower than the cost of individual cooking. Food will be served
hot or cold to private houses in pneumatic tubes or automobile wagons.
The meal being over, the dishes used will be packed and returned to
the cooking establishments where they will be washed. Such wholesale
cookery will be done in electric laboratories rather than in kitchens.
These laboratories will be equipped with electric stoves, and all
sorts of electric devices, such as coffee-grinders, egg-beaters,
stirrers, shakers, parers, meat-choppers, meat-saws, potato-mashers,
lemon-squeezers, dish-washers, dish-dryers and the like. All such
utensils will be washed in chemicals fatal to disease microbes. Having
one’s own cook and purchasing one’s own food will be an extravagance.

Prediction #24: Vegetables Grown by Electricity. Winter will be turned
into summer and night into day by the farmer. In cold weather he will
place heat-conducting electric wires under the soil of his garden and
thus warm his growing plants. He will also grow large gardens under
glass. At night his vegetables will be bathed in powerful electric
light, serving, like sunlight, to hasten their growth. Electric
currents applied to the soil will make valuable plants grow larger and
faster, and will kill troublesome weeds. Rays of colored light will
hasten the growth of many plants. Electricity applied to garden seeds
will make them sprout and develop unusually early.

Prediction #25: Oranges will grow in Philadelphia. Fast-flying
refrigerators on land and sea will bring delicious fruits from the
tropics and southern temperate zone within a few days. The farmers of
South America, South Africa, Australia and the South Sea Islands,
whose seasons are directly opposite to ours, will thus supply us in
winter with fresh summer foods, which cannot be grown here. Scientist
will have discovered how to raise here many fruits now confined to
much hotter or colder climates. Delicious oranges will be grown in the
suburbs of Philadelphia. Cantaloupes and other summer fruits will be
of such a hardy nature that they can be stored through the winter as
potatoes are now.

Prediction #26: Strawberries as large as apples will be eaten by our
great great grandchildren for their Christmas dinners a hundred years
hence. Raspberries and blackberries will be as large. One will suffice
for the fruit course of each person. Strawberries and cranberries will
be grown upon tall bushes. Cranberries, gooseberries and currants will
be as large as oranges. One cantaloupe will supply an entire family.
Melons, cherries, grapes, plums, apples, pears, peaches and all
berries will be seedless. Figs will be cultivated over the entire
United States.

Prediction #27: Few drugs will be swallowed or taken into the stomach
unless needed for the direct treatment of that organ itself. Drugs
needed by the lungs, for instance, will be applied directly to those
organs through the skin and flesh. They will be carried with the
electric current applied without pain to the outside skin of the body.
Microscopes will lay bare the vital organs, through the living flesh,
of men and animals. The living body will to all medical purposes be
transparent. Not only will it be possible for a physician to actually
see a living, throbbing heart inside the chest, but he will be able to
magnify and photograph any part of it. This work will be done with
rays of invisible light.

Prediction #28: There will be no wild animals except in menageries.
Rats and mice will have been exterminated. The horse will have become
practically extinct. A few of high breed will be kept by the rich for
racing, hunting and exercise. The automobile will have driven out the
horse. Cattle and sheep will have no horns. They will be unable to run
faster than the fattened hog of today. A century ago the wild hog
could outrun a horse. Food animals will be bred to expend practically
all of their life energy in producing meat, milk, wool and other by-
products. Horns, bones, muscles and lungs will have been neglected.

Prediction #29: To England in Two Days. Fast electric ships, crossing
the ocean at more than a mile a minute, will go from New York to
Liverpool in two days. The bodies of these ships will be built above
the waves. They will be supported upon runners, somewhat like those of
the sleigh. These runners will be very buoyant. Upon their under sides
will be apertures expelling jets of air. In this way a film of air
will be kept between them and the water’s surface. This film, together
with the small surface of the runners, will reduce friction against
the waves to the smallest possible degree. Propellers turned by
electricity will screw themselves through both the water beneath and
the air above. Ships with cabins artificially cooled will be entirely
fireproof. In storm they will dive below the water and there await
fair weather.

Uncle Al
2010-03-18 11:04:51 EST
HVAC wrote:

> The Ladies Home Journal from December 1900, which contained a
> fascinating article by John Elfreth Watkins, Jr. “What May Happen in
> the Next Hundred Years”.
[snip]

> Prediction #28: There will be no wild animals except in menageries.
> Rats and mice will have been exterminated. The horse will have become
> practically extinct.
[snip rest]

The man was a genius.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

Dhammd Idjit
2010-03-18 20:01:48 EST
Uncle Al wrote:

> HVAC wrote:
>>
>> The Ladies Home Journal from December 1900, which contained a
>> fascinating article by John Elfreth Watkins, Jr. “What May Happen in
>> the Next Hundred Years”.
> [snip]
>
>> Prediction #28: There will be no wild animals except in menageries.
>> Rats and mice will have been exterminated. The horse will have become
>> practically extinct.
> [snip rest]
>
> The man was a genius.

A lot like HVAC, actually.

I found a scan that appears to be the original, and what dingleberry has
posted is a somewhat garbled edition of it. Ferinst - The bit about
giant fruits is repeated.

http://tinyurl.com/847szv

Sekula

The Ladies Home Journal from December 1900, which contained a
fascinating article by John Elfreth Watkins, Jr. \ufffdWhat May Happen in
the Next Hundred Years\ufffd.

Mr. Watkins wrote: \ufffdThese prophecies will seem strange, almost
impossible. Yet, they have come from the most learned and conservative
minds in America. To the wisest and most careful men in our greatest
institutions of science and learning I have gone, asking each in his
turn to forecast for me what, in his opinion, will have been wrought
in his own field of investigation before the dawn of 2001 - a century
from now. These opinions I have carefully transcribed.\ufffd

During the Year 2000, we included Mr. Watkins research in our feature
articles. We invite you to comment on these predictions, whether they
have been realized in some way or how they can never be accomplished!
In any event, we know you\ufffdll enjoy these entries.

Prediction #1: There will probably be from 350,000,000 to 500,000,000
people in America and its possessions by the lapse of another century.
Nicaragua will ask for admission to our Union after the completion of
the great canal. Mexico will be next. Europe, seeking more territory
to the south of us, will cause many of the South and Central American
republics to be voted into the Union by their own people.\ufffd

Prediction #2: The American will be taller by from one to two inches.
His increase of stature will result from better health, due to vast
reforms in medicine, sanitation, food and athletics. He will live
fifty years instead of thirty-five as at present \ufffd for he will reside
in the suburbs. The city house will practically be no more. Building
in blocks will be illegal. The trip from suburban home to office will
require a few minutes only. A penny will pay the fare.

Prediction #3: Gymnastics will begin in the nursery, where toys and
games will be designed to strengthen the muscles. Exercise will be
compulsory in the schools. Every school, college and community will
have a complete gymnasium. All cities will have public gymnasiums. A
man or woman unable to walk ten miles at a stretch will be regarded as
a weakling.

Prediction #4: There Will Be No Street Cars in Our Large Cities. All
hurry traffic will be below or high above ground when brought within
city limits. In most cities it will be confined to broad subways or
tunnels, well lighted and well ventilated, or to high trestles with
\ufffdmoving-sidewalk\ufffd stairways leading to the top. These underground or
[...]

Photographs will reproduce all of Nature\ufffds colors.

[...]

intervention of a \ufffdhello girl\ufffd.

Prediction #19: Grand Opera will be telephoned to private homes, and
will sound as harmonious as though enjoyed from a theatre box.
Automatic instruments reproducing original airs exactly will bring the
best music to the families of the untalented. Great musicians gathered
in one enclosure in New York will, by manipulating electric keys,
produce at the same time music from instruments arranged in theatres
or halls in San Francisco or New Orleans, for instance. Thus will
great bands and orchestras give long-distance concerts. In great
cities there will be public opera-houses whose singers and musicians
are paid from funds endowed by philanthropists and by the government.
The piano will be capable of changing its tone from cheerful to sad.
Many devises will add to the emotional effect of music.

Prediction #20: Coal will not be used for heating or cooking. It will
be scarce, but not entirely exhausted. The earth\ufffds hard coal will last
[...]

one\ufffds own cook and purchasing one\ufffds own food will be an extravagance.

[...]

will be kept between them and the water\ufffds surface. This film, together
with the small surface of the runners, will reduce friction against
the waves to the smallest possible degree. Propellers turned by
electricity will screw themselves through both the water beneath and
the air above. Ships with cabins artificially cooled will be entirely
fireproof. In storm they will dive below the water and there await
fair weather.

Mostly totally wrong predictions.

Sekula

THIS is a REAL UFO site windbag... http://www.ufoevidence.org/

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:11:57 +1100, "Sekula" <noreply@hotmail.com>

>>>Mostly totally wrong predictions.
>>>

>> Yes, Sekula, they didn't predict you would vomit
>> 24/7, after seeing the best UFO websites on
>> the entire Planet Earth.
>>
>> http://ufos-aliens-proof-evidence.awardspace.co.uk/free-ufo-videos.html
>>

>> __________________________________
>>
>> Sir Gilligan Horry's Trillion Dollar Businesses ...
>>
>> 1. Sekula Brand 24/7 'All Year' Vomit Bags.
>> 2. HVAC Humor Lessons, Pay Now Laugh Later.
>> 3. A Dollar from Every Lifeform in the Universe.
>> 4. Earth Quake Powered Flavored Milk Shake Factories.
>> 5. Ko0lest Ko0k Survivalist Co0k Bo0k for DumMies.
>> 6. Ugly Bob's and Horry's Trillion Dollar UFO Chicks Websites.
>> 7. The Late UFO Show Not Tonight Ever.
>> 8. Sir ALFie UFOFighters Radio Talk Back 100% Proof.
>> 9. Biodegradable Soft Toilet Paper Fax Machines.
>> 10. Olde Horry's $5-a-Pop Complaints Department.
>> 11. Invest in All The Above.
>
>THIS is a REAL UFO site ... http://www.ufoevidence.org/

http://ufos-aliens-proof-evidence.awardspace.co.uk/free-ufo-videos.html

I have been linking to UFOevidence.org
for many years.

Especially from these Alien UFO UseNet Newsgroups.

But not from certain links pages from our UFO networks because
UFOevidence.org
never took care of their UFO forums properly.
They always let UFO Debunkers do Vomit all over the forums there.

Hey, is that where you learned how to Vomit 24/7 ?

P.S.
You don't have to reply to this post.
I know the answer.

Sekula : Answer : ... YES WE VOMIT !!!

http://www.ratemyvomit.com

wrote:

>THIS is a REAL UFO site ... http://www.ufoevidence.org
>
>... flipping burgers ... its what you do best ...

Yeah, I make amazing burgers.
Drives my girlfriend wild.
You should see the look on her face
when she is munching on one of my
speciality home cooked perfect burgers.

With my special Wizzard Gilligan Horry Burgers
and my Biological Wand and a Doc Johnson
and other Extraterrestrial upgraded futuristic
alien devices and NewsGroups...
Life is good.

I couldn't live without my Area 51 Boss
Mr HVAC for tips and clues too.

You are a laugh also Sekula.
Tell your captain at the
Ministry of Intelligence and National Security of Iran
to give you an extra hug of reassurance this year.
(full of vomit of course)

And while all of that is happening.
"The Best UFO Disclosure in The World"
is a reality ...

http://www.eboards4all.com/167995/index.html

>>... flipping burgers ... its what you do best ...
>
> Yeah, I make amazing burgers.
> Drives my girlfriend wild.

Sorry Gillian.... The cat's outta the bag.

Everyone knows you're gay now.

Bast
2010-03-19 17:59:01 EST
Ya, Ya, Ya.
But what happened to the flying car I was supposed to have by 2000 ?