Research Discussion: The Drake Equation

The Drake Equation

A man studying in London has taken a mathematical equation that
predicts the possibility of alien life in the universe to explain why
he can't find a girlfriend.

Peter Backus , a native of Seattle and PhD candidate and Teaching
Fellow in the Department of Economics at the University of Warwick,
near London, in his paper, " Why I don't have a girlfriend: An
application of the Drake Equation to love in the UK ," used math to
estimate the number of potential girlfriends in the UK.

In describing the paper on the university Web site he wrote "the
results are not encouraging. The probability of finding love in the UK
is only about 100 times better than the probability of finding
intelligent life in our galaxy."

Click Liverpool reported that Backus, 30, found that of the 30 million
women in the UK, only 26 would be suitable girlfriends for him. His
equation looked at the total number of women in the country, then
narrowed it down using relevant factors including the number of women
in London; the number of "age-appropriate" women (those aged between
24-34); women with a college degree; and those who Backus would find
physically attractive.

In the paper Backus summarized that on a given night out in London
there is a 0.0000034 percent chance of meeting a woman that meets his
criteria and who is also interested in him. That makes his odds of
finding a girlfriend only about 100 times better than finding an
alien.

But in the end Backus defied the odds. Asylum reported that Backus has
a girlfriend of about six months. "She's from London," he told the Web
site. "And she meets all my criteria."

The Drake Equation was developed in 1961 by Dr. Frank Drake at the
National Radio Astronomy Observatory in West Virginia. It reads N = R*
x Fp x Ne x Fi x Fc x L, and helped predict that there could be 10,000
civilizations in our galaxy. The SETI Web site has more information
about what each factor represents. Wikipedia also has an expansive
entry about the equation.

U*@t-online.de
2010-01-14 07:22:54 EST
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 04:00:02 -0800 (PST), HVAC <mr.hvac@gmail.com>
wrote:

>The probability of finding love in the UK
>is only about 100 times better than the probability of finding
>intelligent life in our galaxy."

That's why I never looked for love in the UK, ...

oops ... I once fell in love with Wendy Bowmans
from Burwash (near London) ...

It must be the other way round:

The probability of finding intelligent life in the UK
is only about 100 times better than the probability of finding
love in our galaxy."

C.

>A man studying in London has taken a mathematical equation that
> predicts the possibility of alien life in the universe to explain why
> he can't find a girlfriend.
>
> Peter Backus , a native of Seattle and PhD candidate and Teaching
> Fellow in the Department of Economics at the University of Warwick,
> near London, in his paper, " Why I don't have a girlfriend: An
> application of the Drake Equation to love in the UK ," used math to
> estimate the number of potential girlfriends in the UK.

When applied to the British Isles, any mathematical formula
containing the following unknowns:
X = Love
Y = Intelligence
is doomed to failure from the outset, because of a total absence of
either property in the British psyche.

However, a similar modification of the Drake equation, adapted for
Swizzleland, albeit with the slightly modified unknowns of:
X = Chuckweasel
Y = Mountain Goats
will produce vast amounts of match-ups and provide the ChuckWeasels
of Swizzlestick Land with an abundance of furry, fornicatable females.

Double-A
2010-01-14 14:28:59 EST
On Jan 14, 4:22 am, UseNetO...@t-online.de wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 04:00:02 -0800 (PST), HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >The probability of finding love in the UK
> >is only about 100 times better than the probability of finding
> >intelligent life in our galaxy."
>
> That's why I never looked for love in the UK, ...
>
> oops ... I once fell in love with Wendy Bowmans
> from Burwash (near London) ...
>
> It must be the other way round:
>
> The probability of finding intelligent life in the UK
> is only about 100 times better than the probability of finding
> love in our galaxy."
>
> C.

To find love in the UK you have to be into "English"!

Double-A

Brian E. Clark
2010-01-14 18:29:33 EST
In article <5d25a197-6e92-419a-b0d8-9369e83970d9
@l30g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, mr.hvac@gmail.com says...

> A man studying in London has taken a mathematical equation that
> predicts the possibility of alien life in the universe to explain why
> he can't find a girlfriend.

One reason this guy can never get laid is that he's the
kind of guy who quantifies his inability to get laid.

--
-----------
Brian E. Clark

JohnN
2010-01-14 18:48:33 EST
On Jan 14, 7:00 am, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A man studying in London has taken a mathematical equation that
> predicts the possibility of alien life in the universe to explain why
> he can't find a girlfriend.

I'm not so sure about this. I'll get back to you after I take a
gander at it.

JohnN