Research Discussion: 1909

Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next  (First | Last)

In 1909:

The average life expectancy was 47 years.

Fuel for this car was sold in drug stores only

Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles

Of paved roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower!

The average wage in 1909 was 22 cents per hour.

The average worker made between $200 and $400 per year ..

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year,
A dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per
year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births took place at HOME .

Ninety percent of all doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!

Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which

Were condemned in the press AND the government as 'substandard. '

Sugar cost four cents a pound.

Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.

Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used

Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from

Entering into their country for any reason.

Five leading causes of death were:

1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars..

The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was only 30!!!!

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea Hadn't been invented yet.

There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write and

Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school..

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the
local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacists said, 'Heroin clears the
complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind,regulates the stomach and bowels, and
is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health'

Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or
domestic help..

There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE ! U.S.A.!

Plus one more sad thought; 95 percent of the taxes we have now did not exist
in 1909

I am now going to forward this to someone else without typing it myself.
>From there, it will be sent to others all over the WORLD - all in a matter
of seconds!

Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.

Don Martin
2009-12-08 10:37:00 EST
On Dec 8, 8:59 am, "HVAC" <harlowcampb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In 1909:

> Plus one more sad thought; 95 percent of the taxes we have now did not exist
> in 1909

On the other hand, little gems like the poll tax to keep the poor from
voting no longer exist, and there may be other forms of taxation that
have become obsolete. One of the things that this sort of list shows,
at least about economics, is how much currency deflates over time: our
annual income is a great deal higher in dollars, but our dollars are a
great deal tinier than they were a century ago. Coffee is $3.33 per
pound at my Costco and not 15 cents per pound, an increase of more
than 22 times as much (or a decrease in the dollar to less than one
twenty-second of its former value--take your pick).

Jimbo
2009-12-08 10:55:41 EST
On Dec 8, 10:37 am, Don Martin <drdonmar...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Dec 8, 8:59 am, "HVAC" <harlowcampb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In 1909:
> > Plus one more sad thought; 95 percent of the taxes we have now did not exist
> > in 1909
>
> On the other hand, little gems like the poll tax to keep the poor from
> voting no longer exist, and there may be other forms of taxation that
> have become obsolete.  One of the things that this sort of list shows,
> at least about economics, is how much currency deflates over time: our
> annual income is a great deal higher in dollars, but our dollars are a
> great deal tinier than they were a century ago. Coffee is $3.33 per
> pound at my Costco and not 15 cents per pound, an increase of more
> than 22 times as much (or a decrease in the dollar to less than one
> twenty-second of its former value--take your pick).

Additionally, the corporate trusts that existed at that time were done
away with, lifting the ancestors of many of the people that complain
about how things are today out of the work camps an into a decent
living wage. People like Henry Ford are no longer allowed to smack
employees with a 2 x 4 to get them to work harder, and hospitals are
no longer the least healthy option.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2009-12-08 11:19:02 EST
"HVAC" <harlowcampbell@gmail.com> wrote in

> The average wage in 1909 was 22 cents per hour.
>

> The average worker made between $200 and $400 per year ..

That works out to an average work day of 2-4 hours. Doesn't quite
scan right, to me.

--
Terry Austin

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2009-12-08 12:49:10 EST

> "Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy" <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote in
> message news:Xns9CDB5EC7DF9D0taustingmail@69.16.186.50...
>> "HVAC" <harlowcampbell@gmail.com> wrote in
>>>
>>> The average wage in 1909 was 22 cents per hour.
>>>

>>> The average worker made between $200 and $400 per year ..
>>>

>> That works out to an average work day of 2-4 hours. Doesn't
>> quite scan right, to me.
>

> You're not very bright, are you?

And yet, I'm right.

--
Terry Austin

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

"Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy" <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "HVAC" <harlowcampbell@gmail.com> wrote in
>>
>> The average wage in 1909 was 22 cents per hour.
>>

>> The average worker made between $200 and $400 per year ..
>>

> That works out to an average work day of 2-4 hours. Doesn't quite
> scan right, to me.

You're not very bright, are you?

Double-A
2009-12-08 14:12:05 EST
On Dec 8, 7:37 am, Don Martin <drdonmar...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Dec 8, 8:59 am, "HVAC" <harlowcampb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In 1909:
> > Plus one more sad thought; 95 percent of the taxes we have now did not exist
> > in 1909
>
> On the other hand, little gems like the poll tax to keep the poor from
> voting no longer exist, and there may be other forms of taxation that
> have become obsolete.  One of the things that this sort of list shows,
> at least about economics, is how much currency deflates over time: our
> annual income is a great deal higher in dollars, but our dollars are a
> great deal tinier than they were a century ago. Coffee is $3.33 per
> pound at my Costco and not 15 cents per pound, an increase of more
> than 22 times as much (or a decrease in the dollar to less than one
> twenty-second of its former value--take your pick).

Coffee is $9.95 a pound at Starbucks! (House Blend)

Double-A

Jimbo
2009-12-08 14:21:12 EST
On Dec 8, 11:19 am, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
<*.@gmail.com> wrote:
> "HVAC" <harlowcampb...@gmail.com> wrote innews:hflm3n$ijn$1@hvac.motzarella.org:
>
> > The average wage in 1909 was 22 cents per hour.
>
> > The average worker made between $200 and $400 per year ..
>
> That works out to an average work day of 2-4 hours. Doesn't quite
> scan right, to me.

In 1909, that was probably an average work day of 16 - 18 hours. I
remember my grandfather telling me about the W. Virginia coal mines in
those days. Nasty places He was a foreman, and made a whopping 12
cents an hour, of course there was no such thing as time and a half
for overtime. Worse yet, they paid in company script, not cash,
which was only good at the Camp Store (Company owned, of course), so
you were basically forced to purchase company goods (which they
profited from) They were forced to suppliment their income by
hunting and gardening, but you had to leave company property to hunt,
or they charged you a hunting fee, and if you had a garden on company
property, you have to pay for the priviledge of using the land.
Teddy Roosevelt took office in 1901, and by 1902 he began to challenge
the corporate trusts, including mining, which paved the way for anti-
trust legislation, and eventual unionization of mining employees.
Paying by script became illegal, and the mining camps began to
disappear.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2009-12-08 15:14:58 EST
Jimbo <ckdbigtoe@gmail.com> wrote in
om:

> On Dec 8, 11:19\ufffdam, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
> <tausti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "HVAC" <harlowcampb...@gmail.com> wrote
>> innews:hflm3n$ijn$1@hvac.motzarel
> la.org:
>>
>> > The average wage in 1909 was 22 cents per hour.
>>
>> > The average worker made between $200 and $400 per year ..
>>
>> That works out to an average work day of 2-4 hours. Doesn't
>> quite scan right, to me.
>>

> In 1909, that was probably an average work day of 16 - 18 hours.

Rather my point, yes. The numbers don't add up.

--
Terry Austin

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2009-12-08 16:46:57 EST
martin <usenet@etiqa.co.uk> wrote in

> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
>> "HVAC" <harlowcampbell@gmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> "Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy" <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote
>>> in message news:Xns9CDB5EC7DF9D0taustingmail@69.16.186.50...

>>> You're not very bright, are you?
>>>
>> And yet, I'm right.
>>

> Well if we say $300/year, that works out about $1/day
> for 22c/hour that would be 5 hours work/day
>
> The figures work out depending on number of days worked/year and
> actual wage/hour.

And none of them even approach what we know the actual average work
day was a century ago. It just doesn't add up.