Research Discussion: World's Fastest Train

World's Fastest Train

http://www.flixxy.com/worlds-fastest-train.htm

Jimbo
2009-11-07 09:47:59 EST
On Nov 7, 9:26 am, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.flixxy.com/worlds-fastest-train.htm

That was in 2005, have they built it?

Les Hellawell
2009-11-07 12:07:59 EST
On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 06:47:59 -0800 (PST), Jimbo <ckdbigtoe@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Nov 7, 9:26 am, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://www.flixxy.com/worlds-fastest-train.htm
>
>That was in 2005, have they built it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7171221.stm

I can remember Professor Laithwaite demonstrating his invention
of Maglev at one of The Royal Institute Christmas lectures for
children in 1974 and his fascinating lecture on gyroscopes

There is a good biography of him here:
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/electronic-projects-design-ideas-reviews/5737-maglev-train-design-electro-magnets.html

He was clearly a brilliant man who spoke with a lovely soft Lancashire
accent.

As often happens maglev is yet another British invention exploited
elsewhere

--
Les Hellawell
Greetings from:

Martin
2009-11-07 13:13:46 EST
Les Hellawell wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 06:47:59 -0800 (PST), Jimbo <ckdbigtoe@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 7, 9:26 am, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> http://www.flixxy.com/worlds-fastest-train.htm
>> That was in 2005, have they built it?
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7171221.stm
>
> I can remember Professor Laithwaite demonstrating his invention
> of Maglev at one of The Royal Institute Christmas lectures for
> children in 1974 and his fascinating lecture on gyroscopes

That was one of the best christmas lectures I can remember. They seem to
have been dumbed down in the past 10 - 15 years or so.

What do you think about Laithwaite? He was somewhat ostracized by the
scientific community following his rather ill-advised lecture at the RI
where he presented some rather way-out ideas about gyros. Following his
death a few years ago (10ish?) I've not heard anything about the
weight-loss gyro.

He was either ahead of his time or he went slightly/totally mad.

Alex W.
2009-11-07 17:50:23 EST

.... a rental train?

(it had to be said)

Jimbo
2009-11-08 17:51:48 EST
On Nov 7, 12:07 pm, Les Hellawell <l...@fakeaddress.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 06:47:59 -0800 (PST), Jimbo <ckdbig...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Nov 7, 9:26 am, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>http://www.flixxy.com/worlds-fastest-train.htm
>
> >That was in 2005, have they built it?
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7171221.stm
>
> I can remember Professor Laithwaite demonstrating his invention
> of Maglev at one of The Royal Institute Christmas lectures for
> children in 1974 and his fascinating lecture on gyroscopes
>
> There is a good biography of him here:http://www.electro-tech-online.com/electronic-projects-design-ideas-r...
>
> He was clearly a brilliant man who spoke with a lovely soft Lancashire
> accent.
>
> As often happens maglev is yet another British invention exploited
> elsewhere
>
> --
> Les Hellawell
> Greetings from:
> YORKSHIRE - The White Rose County

That's great. I'm retired now, but it sure would have been nice to
have made a "Detroit to Chicago" run in an hour, instead of four hours.