Research Discussion: Blast From The Past

Blast From The Past

Astronomers using the National Science Foundation's Very Large Array
(VLA) radio telescope have gained tantalizing insights into the nature
of the most distant object ever observed in the Universe -- a gigantic
stellar explosion known as a Gamma Ray Burst (GRB).

The explosion was detected on April 23 by NASA's Swift satellite, and
scientists soon realized that it was more than 13 billion light-years
from Earth. It represents an event that occurred 630 million years
after the Big Bang, when the Universe was only four percent of its
current age of 13.7 billion years.

"This explosion provides an unprecedented look at an era when the
Universe was very young and also was undergoing drastic changes. The
primal cosmic darkness was being pierced by the light of the first
stars and the first galaxies were beginning to form. The star that
exploded in this event was a member of one of these earliest
generations of stars," said Dale Frail of the National Radio Astronomy
Observatory.

Astronomers turned telescopes from around the world to study the
blast, dubbed GRB 090423. The VLA first looked for the object the day
after the discovery, detected the first radio waves from the blast a
week later, then recorded changes in the object until it faded from
view more than two months later.

"It's important to study these explosions with many kinds of
telescopes. Our research team combined data from the VLA with data
from X-ray and infrared telescopes to piece together some of the
physical conditions of the blast," said Derek Fox of Pennsylvania
State University. "The result is a unique look into the very early
Universe that we couldn't have gotten any other way," he added.

The scientists concluded that the explosion was more energetic than
most GRBs, was a nearly-spherical blast, and that it expanded into a
tenuous and relatively uniform gaseous medium surrounding the star.

Astronomers suspect that the very first stars in the Universe were
very different -- brighter, hotter, and more massive -- from those
that formed later. They hope to find evidence for these giants by
observing objects as distant as GRB 090423 or more distant.

"The best way to distinguish these distant, early-generation stars is
by studying their explosive deaths, as supernovae or Gamma Ray
Bursts," said Poonam Chandra, of the Royal Military College of Canada,
and leader of the research team. While the data on GRB 090423 don't
indicate that it resulted from the death of such a monster star, new
astronomical tools are coming that may reveal them.

"The Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA), will allow
us to pick out these very-distant GRBs more easily so we can target
them for intense followup observations. The Expanded Very Large Array,
with much greater sensitivity than the current VLA, will let us follow
these blasts much longer and learn much more about their energies and
environments. We'll be able to look back even further in time," Frail
said. Both ALMA and the EVLA are scheduled for completion in 2012.

Chandra, Frail and Fox worked with Shrinivas Kulkarni of Caltech, Edo
Berger of Harvard University, S. Bradley Cenko of the University of
California at Berkeley, Douglas C.-J. Bock of the Combined Array for
Research in Millimeter-wave Astronomy in California, and Fiona
Harrison and Mansi Kasliwal of Caltech. The scientists described their
research in a paper submitted to the Astrophysical Journal Letters.

The National Radio Astronomy Observatory is a facility of the National
Science Foundation, operated under cooperative agreement by Associated
Universities, Inc.

On Oct 30, 11:44 pm, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> with much greater sensitivity than the current VLA, will let us follow
> these blasts much longer and learn much more about their energies and
> environments. We'll be able to look back even further in time," Frail
> said. Both ALMA and the EVLA are scheduled for completion in 2012.
>
> Chandra, Frail and Fox worked with Shrinivas Kulkarni of Caltech, Edo
> Berger of Harvard University, S. Bradley Cenko of the University of
> California at Berkeley, Douglas C.-J. Bock of the Combined Array for
> Research in Millimeter-wave Astronomy in California, and Fiona
> Harrison and Mansi Kasliwal of Caltech. The scientists described their
> research in a paper submitted to the Astrophysical Journal Letters.
>
> The National Radio Astronomy Observatory is a facility of the National
> Science Foundation, operated under cooperative agreement by Associated

Love the Hollywood movie too...
"Blast From The Past"

___________________

Barbara
2009-10-30 07:47:14 EST
This is just a Question. Could the Large Hadron Collider be sabotaging itself
from the future, as some physicists say

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/biology_evolution/article6879293.ece

Any ideas on this one.

Babs.

Ben Kaufman
2009-10-30 08:30:49 EST
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 03:44:34 -0700 (PDT), HVAC <mr.hvac@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>with much greater sensitivity than the current VLA, will let us follow
>these blasts much longer and learn much more about their energies and
>environments. We'll be able to look back even further in time," Frail
>said. Both ALMA and the EVLA are scheduled for completion in 2012.
>
>Chandra, Frail and Fox worked with Shrinivas Kulkarni of Caltech, Edo
>Berger of Harvard University, S. Bradley Cenko of the University of
>California at Berkeley, Douglas C.-J. Bock of the Combined Array for
>Research in Millimeter-wave Astronomy in California, and Fiona
>Harrison and Mansi Kasliwal of Caltech. The scientists described their
>research in a paper submitted to the Astrophysical Journal Letters.
>
>The National Radio Astronomy Observatory is a facility of the National
>Science Foundation, operated under cooperative agreement by Associated

What is the source of this report?

Ben

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" <herbertglazier@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Hagar those people that say its explosion took place 13B Earth years
> ago have now got to answer this question. How old was the universe
> before this explosion? Can they answer that accurately,of course not.
> Even they will admit its all an if come approximation that could be off
> by 25% or more. Better gamma detectors will make the universe bigger and
> older in time. my approximation of 22B years will be much more accurate
> in about 199 years from now. O ya Bert

Well, Beeper, the very first stars formed about 200 million years after the
Big Bang. They also were all Super giants, since their composition was that
of the new coalesced cosmic soup, containing 75% Hydrogen, 23% Helium and 2%
Lithium, Beryllium and a trace of Boron.
Since these are the lightest of elements, it took a gigantic ball of them to
muster the gravitational force required to start fusion. Also, since they
contained no impurities (heavier elements, metals etc), they burned at an
unprecedented rate and exhausted their internal fuel up to the iron stage in
around 100 to 250 million years, when they all went Supernova, seeding the
Cosmos with the necessary elements to form second generation stars and also
the very first planets.
So, the event just seen could, in theory, have occurred about 300 million
years after the Big Bang. The calculated age of the Universe, even taking
into consideration its recently discovered accelerated expansion, is still
around 13.5 to 14 Billion years.

"Ben Kaufman" <spaXm-mXe-anXd-paXy-5000-dollars@pobox.com> wrote in message

> What is the source of this report?
>
> Ben

Google

Ben Kaufman
2009-10-30 13:15:37 EST
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:23:27 -0500, "HVAC" <harlowcampbell@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Ben Kaufman" <spaXm-mXe-anXd-paXy-5000-dollars@pobox.com> wrote in message
>>
>> What is the source of this report?
>>
>> Ben
>

>Google

"Source" means who wrote it, not how you found it

Thanks.

Ben

Enkidu
2009-10-30 22:32:40 EST
Ben Kaufman wrote:

> What is the source of this report?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091028142231.htm

Enkidu AA#2165
EAC Chaplain and ordained minister,
ULC, Modesto, CA

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
- George Bernard Shaw

Ben Kaufman
2009-11-01 09:33:04 EST
On 31 Oct 2009 02:32:40 GMT, Enkidu <enkidu@nogodhere.net> wrote:

>Ben Kaufman wrote:
>
>> What is the source of this report?
>
>http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091028142231.htm
>
>--

Thanks very much.

Ben

Sir Arthur C.B.E. Wholeflaffers A.S.A.
2009-11-01 10:45:30 EST
On Oct 30, 2:44 am, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> with much greater sensitivity than the current VLA, will let us follow
> these blasts much longer and learn much more about their energies and
> environments. We'll be able to look back even further in time," Frail
> said. Both ALMA and the EVLA are scheduled for completion in 2012.
>
> Chandra, Frail and Fox worked with Shrinivas Kulkarni of Caltech, Edo
> Berger of Harvard University, S. Bradley Cenko of the University of
> California at Berkeley, Douglas C.-J. Bock of the Combined Array for
> Research in Millimeter-wave Astronomy in California, and Fiona
> Harrison and Mansi Kasliwal of Caltech. The scientists described their
> research in a paper submitted to the Astrophysical Journal Letters.
>
> The National Radio Astronomy Observatory is a facility of the National
> Science Foundation, operated under cooperative agreement by Associated

All these organizations are phony fronts, pushed by debunkers, intel.
agents and useful idiots. Please ignore posts like this for your own
peace of mind!

Sir Arthur CBE Wholeflaffers A.S.A.
President CanTech University Dept. of Astronomy and Astrophysics