Research Discussion: And You Thought France Sucked

And You Thought France Sucked

Vive La France!

PARIS — A Paris court convicted the Church of Scientology of fraud and
fined it more than euro600,000 ($900,000) on Tuesday but stopped short
of banning the group as prosecutors had demanded.

The group's French branch immediately announced it would appeal the
verdict.

The court convicted the Church of Scientology's French office, its
library and six of its leaders of organized fraud. Investigators said
the group pressured members into paying large sums of money for
questionable financial gain and used "commercial harassment" against
recruits.

The group was fined euro400,000 ($600,000) and the library
euro200,000. Four of the leaders were given suspended sentences of
between 10 months and two years. The other two were given fines of
euro1,000 and euro2,000.

However, the court did not order the Church of Scientology to shut
down, ruling that it would be likely to continue its activities anyway
"outside any legal framework."

Prosecutors had urged that the group be dissolved in France and fined
euro2 million ($3 million).

The verdict is "an Inquisition of modern times," said Scientology
spokeswoman Agnes Bron, referring to efforts to rout out heretics of
the Roman Catholic Church in centuries past.

The head of an association that helps victims of sects, Catherine
Picard, called the verdict "intelligent."

"Scientology can no longer hide behind freedom of conscience," she
said.

The Los Angeles-based Church of Scientology, founded in 1954 by the
late science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard, has been active for
decades in Europe, but has struggled to gain status as a religion. It
is considered a sect in France and has faced prosecution and
difficulties in registering its activities in many countries.

Defense lawyer Patrick Maisonneuve said during the trial that neither
the Church of Scientology nor the six leaders on trial had gained
financially from the group's practices.

The original complaint in the case dates back more than a decade, when
a young woman said she took out loans and spent the equivalent of
euro21,000 on books, courses and "purification packages" after being
recruited in 1998. When she sought reimbursement and to leave the
group, its leadership refused. She was among three eventual
plaintiffs.

Olivier Morice, lawyer for civil parties in the case, said the verdict
was "historic" because it was the first time in France that the Church
of Scientology has been convicted of organized fraud.

Investigating judge Jean-Christophe Hullin spent years examining the
group's activities, and in his indictment criticized what he called
the Scientologists' "obsession" with financial gain and practices he
said were aimed at plunging members into a "state of subjection."

The Church of Scientology teaches that technology can expand the mind
and help solve problems. It claims 10 million members around the
world, including celebrity devotees Tom Cruise and John Travolta.

Belgium, Germany and other European countries have been criticized by
the U.S. State Department for labeling Scientology as a cult or sect
and enacting laws to restrict its operations.

Double-A
2009-10-27 14:38:24 EST
Since when was bilking the French a crime?

Double-A

_//!! _//!!

Vive La France!

PARIS \ufffd A Paris court convicted the Church of Scientology of fraud and
[...]

Suckered "technology" can expand the mind whilst EXPANDING the
purse of ~The Church of Scientology~?

The U.Suckered State Department, who must ALL, or at least in part,
form part of the 10 million devotees, SUCKS TO HELL AND HIGH
WATER.

~The Church of Scientology's~ nothing but another PONSI SCHEME.

Proof me wrong.

You can't...because *I*'m Right!

*Hallelujah*

*Amen*

BradGuth
2009-10-27 20:31:45 EST
On Oct 27, 4:17 pm, "_//!! _//!!"
<*.@freenews.netfront.net> wrote:
> [...]
> the Scientologists' "obsession" with financial gain and practices he
> said were aimed at plunging members into a "state of subjection."
>
> The Church of Scientology teaches that technology can expand the mind
> and help solve problems. It claims 10 million members around the
> world, including celebrity devotees Tom Cruise and John Travolta.
>
> Belgium, Germany and other European countries have been criticized by
> the U.S. State Department for labeling Scientology as a cult or sect
> and enacting laws to restrict its operations.
> Suckered "technology" can expand the mind whilst EXPANDING the
> purse of ~The Church of Scientology~?
>
> The U.Suckered State Department, who must ALL, or at least in part,
> form part of the 10 million devotees, SUCKS TO HELL AND HIGH
> WATER.
>
> ~The Church of Scientology's~ nothing but another PONSI SCHEME.

Far too many religions focus upon stuffing our hard earned loot into
their tax-avoidance bank accounts, as well as offering no subsequent
accountability for any dime of it.

~ BG

_//!! _//!!
2009-10-27 21:42:44 EST
"BradGuth" <bradguth@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> world, including celebrity devotees Tom Cruise and John Travolta.
>
> Belgium, Germany and other European countries have been criticized by
> the U.S. State Department for labeling Scientology as a cult or sect
> and enacting laws to restrict its operations.
> Suckered "technology" can expand the mind whilst EXPANDING the
> purse of ~The Church of Scientology~?
>
> The U.Suckered State Department, who must ALL, or at least in part,
> form part of the 10 million devotees, SUCKS TO HELL AND HIGH
> WATER.
>
> ~The Church of Scientology's~ nothing but another PONSI SCHEME.
>
> Proof me wrong.
>
> You can't...because *I*'m Right!
>
> *Hallelujah*
>
> *Amen*

Far too many religions focus upon stuffing our hard earned loot into
their tax-avoidance bank accounts, as well as offering no subsequent

Don't go there, as you have recently seen with Madoff & Kie. These PIGS
are never satisfied. They PREY on your desire to earn a buck or two, BUT
their GREED knows no end.

Keep it *Simple*.

*Hallelujah*

*Amen*

Richard Smol
2009-10-28 10:16:18 EST
On 27 okt, 19:33, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Vive La France!
>
> PARIS — A Paris court convicted the Church of Scientology of fraud and
> fined it more than euro600,000 ($900,000) on Tuesday but stopped short
> of banning the group as prosecutors had demanded.

Well, they suck for not banning that cult straight away.

RS

Lord Vetinari
2009-10-28 13:33:18 EST
"Double-A" <double-a3@hush.com> wrote in message
> Since when was bilking the French a crime?

Since when does your opinion count? Fuckwit. Get some brains, you
xenophobic turd.

"Richard Smol" <richard.smol@gmail.com> wrote in message
On 27 okt, 19:33, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Vive La France!
>
> PARIS \ufffd A Paris court convicted the Church of Scientology of fraud and
> fined it more than euro600,000 ($900,000) on Tuesday but stopped short
> of banning the group as prosecutors had demanded.

Well, they suck for not banning that cult straight away.

RS
********************************
... along with all of the other fraudulent religious cults.

BradGuth
2009-10-28 13:41:28 EST
On Oct 27, 5:42 pm, "_//!! _//!!"
> [...]
> > purse of ~The Church of Scientology~?
>
> > The U.Suckered State Department, who must ALL, or at least in part,
> > form part of the 10 million devotees, SUCKS TO HELL AND HIGH
> > WATER.
>
> > ~The Church of Scientology's~ nothing but another PONSI SCHEME.
>
> > Proof me wrong.
>
> > You can't...because *I*'m Right!
>
> > *Hallelujah*
>
> > *Amen*
>
> Far too many religions focus upon stuffing our hard earned loot into
> their tax-avoidance bank accounts, as well as offering no subsequent
> accountability for any dime of it.
>
>  ~ BG
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Don't go there, as you have recently seen with Madoff & Kie.  These PIGS
> are never satisfied. They PREY on your desire to earn a buck or two, BUT

Kosher greed and corruption is just about everywhere, as is their
finger into just about everything that matters. They'll even have you
put on a stick if you cause too much trouble.

~ BG

Lord Vetinari
2009-10-28 13:47:52 EST
"Richard Smol" <richard.smol@gmail.com> wrote in message
On 27 okt, 19:33, HVAC <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Vive La France!
>
> PARIS \ufffd A Paris court convicted the Church of Scientology of fraud and
> fined it more than euro600,000 ($900,000) on Tuesday but stopped short
> of banning the group as prosecutors had demanded.

Well, they suck for not banning that cult straight away.

The U.S. state department sucks for giving France shit over this. Ain't our
business, and we ought to be supporting them in their role as crimestoppers.